Sunday, March 11, 2012

An Illusion of Safety: Broken

At church today during our worship service I saw a grown man next to me cry and drop to his knees. The bearing that he carried into church today was broken by the grace and power of the Holy Spirit.

Throughout my entire life I always had this illusion of security or fulfillment. I thought to myself that if I could fill myeslf up with the good things of this world, everything would be ok. I could use those to satsify the longest desires of my heart. I replace the good and supress the bad or negative things that plague my soul. However in my recent time since graduating from college, that illusion has been broken. We can cover it up with money, power, sucess, Brooks Brothers Polos, the perfect golf swing, the perfect body, the perfect wife, even the perfect family.

Now do not get my wrong all of these things are not bad, but when they become the center of your life it creates a big illusion. It is a sad thing that I have seen all of these things break! I have seen all of these illusion break because of the love and grace of Jesus Christ. That is the thing that brings me perfect intimacy, perfect joy, perfect grace. There is no illusion in Christ. There is real relevant life chaning power because of his supernatural grace. Supernatural grace that has sometimes left me speechless. There is true power in the name of Jesus Christ to not only break every chain of our life. But to give us POWER. Power to conquer this broken world and to rejoice in all of his generosity for our life. 1 Corinthians 9:22 highlights this power "To the weak I became weak, to win the weak, I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some."

I am so FREE not living an illusion. Sure I still play golf, wear Brooks Brothers oxfords, and maybe enjoy a steak dinner here and there but I do not MAKE THEM THE CENTER OF MY LIFE. When you put all of your energy, effort, work, and passion into creation rather than the CREATOR of CREATION...ooh boy you are setting yourself up for destruction. I am sorry to say that the "American Dream" is only an illusion. But the "Dream for Jesus Christ" is reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment